One thing I underestimated as a parent was how much of my time would be spent washing clothes for people that seem intent on getting them dirty. In fact, I’d say a large portion of my time as a mom is spent doing laundry, avoiding doing laundry, or looking for laundry. Sound familiar? But here’s the thing: In the 11 years that I’ve been a parent, I’ve learned a little bit about how to make laundry easier.
For starters, you need a secret weapon, aka the LG TWINWash™ System. It has a powerful front load washing machine, plus a pedestal washer. The LG SideKick™ Pedestal Washer is specifically designed to wash small loads alongside your family-sized loads, so if you need to wash something on the fly (say, a grass stained soccer uniform your kid needs the next morning), you can. It’s also great for washing custom-care laundry items, and delicate clothing in their own separate loads. The incredible front-loading LG washer offers fast wash times and it reduces allergens. Oh yeah, and you can control it with your smartphone!
In addition to great equipment, genius laundry strategies make all the difference between a manageable situation and one that’s completely out of control. If you have dirty clothes piling up on a chair in your house, trust me, you need some new tricks. Read on for how I keep all the laundry that my family of five creates from becoming totally overwhelming (and possibly suffocating me in my sleep).
1. Don’t try to do it all in one day. When I first got married, it was easy to do laundry in one day. Now that we’ve added three children to the mix, it’s way too overwhelming to stick to the same system. So, I have an adult day and kid day, as well as another day for my oldest daughter to get her own laundry done. The best thing you can do to make laundry less overwhelming is to also create a schedule for washing specific things, such as towels, sheets, and comforters.
2. Invest in a washing machine that can do double duty. The LG SideKick™ Pedestal Washer, part of the LG TWINWash™ System, works as a companion to LG’s front-loading washer so that you can do two loads of laundry at the same time. Mind. Blown. No more crusty sheets that you used to wash only once a month because now you have a plan, a schedule, and two washing machines to get smaller loads done alongside your regular loads. It’s a brilliant time saver for when you notice the kids wiped up cat vomit with your bath towels when you weren’t looking.
3. Let the entire family help with sorting. Store baskets in your laundry room for darks, lights, delicates, and whites. That way, family members can help with sorting at the same time they’re dropping their dirty clothes off to be washed. If you’ve always got your laundry sorted ahead of time, it’s easy to grab a small load when you have time that’s all ready to go and throw it in your LG SideKick™ Pedestal Washer. No more waiting to have “enough” laundry for a whole load.
4. Teach your kids how to do their own laundry. It’s never too early (or too late) to get your kids involved in this household chore. Even kids that can’t do their own laundry can do smaller but still helpful tasks, such as turn clothes inside out and match socks. I started my eldest kid on laundry duty when she was 10-years-old. She has her own laundry day of the week and she is responsible for washing, folding, and putting her clothes away.
5. Make laundry time fun. I know it’s hard to think of laundry as “fun” but it really can be. Have laundry parties when it’s time to put clean clothes away. Dump the laundry on your bed, play some loud music, and have everyone grab their stuff from the pile and sort together. For younger kids, make it a game by finding certain colors in the laundry pile, or trying to find five pairs of socks in a row.
6. Don’t wait to wash stained clothes. There is nothing worse than watching your child spill cranberry juice on her favorite shirt — after you just did the laundry. You don’t want to let it sit there and wait a whole week (or more) until you have time again. That’s where the LG SideKick™ comes in. With it, you can wash a small load right away, so stains won’t have time to set in and ruin clothes.
7. Move laundry baskets out of bedrooms. Do you know a kid on the planet (or, let’s be honest, a spouse) that gets their clothes in the hamper every single time? Yeah. Me neither. Laundry baskets in bedrooms just mean more messes, and more chances of that one sock disappearing forever. Instead, find a central location (hopefully the laundry room) and only keep your dirty laundry in that one space.
8. Take a day off from laundry duty. We all need a free day, or a day of rest. Am I right? And, laundry is no exception. We all joke about how laundry never ends, and since that is 100 percent true, you might as well give yourself a break, because of course it will be waiting for you when you get back. And, with the LG TWINWash™ System, you are automatically creating a day off from laundry because this amazing dual washing machine system is going to save you tons of time.
When you do have to jump back in to tackle the next load, at least you have the LG TWINWash™ System by your side. So don’t be afraid to take a break. I can feel it, my friends — tons of free time because we aren’t slaves to our laundry mountain anymore. Maybe a nap is in our future, too.