Memorial Day weekend marks the start of summer and the outdoor grilling season.
There is nothing sweeter than smelling sticky, sweet barbecue smoking away on that grill.
I love pairing Zinfandel wine with barbecue. Zinfandel loves the grill and barbecue.
The big, bold flavors of Zinfandel hold up nicely to just about anything you barbecue on the grill; whether it be, ribs, burgers, steak or chicken. Zinfandels are usually packed with fresh, ripe fruit and have a nice, rich structure to them creating a perfect match with barbecue.
This Memorial Day weekend, I am recommending the following Zinfandel wines. I currently have all of these residing in my cellar and I might just have to open and indulge in a few of them!
Zinfandel Picks with Barbecue
(Click on the wine name to explore the winery website & purchase the wine!)
So what will I be grilling up this Memorial Day weekend? My Sticky, Sweet Barbecue Ribs of course!
Sticky, Sweet Barbecue Ribs (Adapted from Sam the Cooking Guy)
2 racks of pork back ribs (about 5 lbs)
4 Tbls white vinegar
2 cups Sweet Baby Rae’s Barbecue Sauce
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place ribs & vinegar in a large baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until the ribs are fork-tender between the bones, about 90 minutes. Remove ribs from oven and remove foil.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine barbecue sauce, syrup and brown sugar.
- Preheat your outdoor grill and place the ribs, meat side down. Cook until you start to see grill marks. Turn over and spread the barbecue sauce mixture over ribs. After a few minutes, flip ribs over and baste the other side with the barbecue mixture.
- Turn them one last time and spread remaining barbecue sauce over the ribs.
- Remove from grill and enjoy these sticky, sweet ribs with your big ‘ole glass of Zinfandel!
Happy Memorial Day!