Green tea has long been one of my favorite things. And I say “things” because although I drink plenty of tea, I don’t just mean the beverage. Green tea makes a fantastic face mask, and it can be found in tablets and capsules, so there are plenty of ways to benefit from its good health-promoting properties — mainly polyphenols, a plant-based chemical compound found in natural food sources containing antioxidants (and we all know antioxidants are the bomb!). Basically, if you’re not consuming green tea, you’re probably missing out. Check out this list of all the health benefits of green tea, and see if you’ve just met your new best friend.
1. Green tea promotes weight loss. The stuff is great for increasing your metabolism, and turning it into a fat-burning machine.
2. It boosts your brain power short-term (hello, caffeine!).
3. This good stuff also helps combat neurodegenerative disorders. Studies show that green tea may reduce the risk of inflammation and therefore protect the brain from Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
4. And, it may decrease your risk of cancer, too. Though not definitive, research shows that the antioxidants in green tea can trigger detoxification and defend cells from DNA damage as well as inhibit tumor cell growth.
5. Green tea may help prevent spikes in blood sugar. Since type-2 diabetics are less sensitive to insulin, green tea may help control glucose levels, thereby slowing the rise of blood sugar. And it may even prevent diabetes.
6. It helps to lower bad cholesterol. Research suggests that green tea may help decrease your bad cholesterol while leaving your good cholesterol unaffected.
7. Green tea can help prevent tooth decay. Thanks again to antioxidants, green tea has been shown to fight bacterial infection in the mouth that causes cavities and throat infections. Green tea also supports gum health and neutralizes bad breath.
8. It may also curb depression. Studies show that the polyphenols found in green tea can work with your brain to fight stress and help relax you.
9. Green tea is also good for your skin. With its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, green tea can improve your complexion and work wonders on your skin by reducing puffiness and signs of aging, as well as treating acne and acting as a skin toner.